Hurricane Shutter FAQs for Central Florida Residents
Answering Your Questions About Hurricane Shutters
When you live in or around Orlando, FL, the dangers of hurricane season are a reality. Residents are concerned with preparing for a potential hurricane and looking for ways to protect their homes, businesses, and families. Fortunately, there’s plenty you can do to secure your home or place of business against extreme weather. The team at Sun Barrier Products has been helping locals since 1988, working to secure their property against damaging winds and debris. Because we’re known for our expertise on the subject, we get lots of questions about proper hurricane protection and when to start preparing. Browse our hurricane shutter frequently asked questions below or get in touch with our professionals for additional information.
What Are Hurricane Shutters?
Hurricane shutters are an essential addition to any home or business located in an area prone to hurricanes or other severe weather events. They protect against high winds, rain, and debris, and can help prevent damage to your property. Many products on the market today are designed to help reinforce your home against extreme winds and flying debris, including:
- Roll Down Shutters – This type of shutter is made with industrial-grade aluminum and can be manually operated or motorized for easy raising and lowering. It is also designed to be energy-efficient, making it a great choice for those looking to reduce their energy bills.
- Accordion Shutters – Made from interlocking blades, this type of hurricane shutter is designed to be permanently installed at your home or business. It slides closed quickly, making it the perfect protection for windows, doors, and patios.
- Impact Windows and Doors – PGT Winguard Impact Windows and Doors are triple-glazed with an internal PVB laminated layer, providing constant protection against threats from storms and intruders. Not only are they tested and approved to stand up to hurricane-force winds, but they are also tested to withstand a nine-pound 2 x 4 projectile hitting the glass. Even if the glass cracks, the laminated film keeps out wind, water, debris, and most importantly, pressure.
- Bahama & Colonial Shutters – This type of hurricane shutter extends out from the top of your window and attaches with a hinge. It’s made with extruded aluminum components with a baked-on powder coat finish, making it durable and long-lasting. Bahama shutters are also easy to adjust to enhance privacy and climate control. When a storm threatens, they can easily be locked down for hurricane protection.
Do I Need Hurricane Shutters?
If you live in an area that is prone to hurricanes or other severe weather events, then you should consider installing hurricane shutters to protect your home or business. Hurricane shutters can help prevent property damage and provide peace of mind during a storm.
What Are the Benefits of Hurricane Shutters?
There are several benefits to hurricane shutter installation, including:
- Protection against high winds, rain, and debris during a hurricane or severe weather event.
- Increased energy efficiency by reducing heat transfer through windows and doors.
- Enhanced security by providing an additional layer of protection against break-ins and vandalism.
- Increased property value by adding an extra layer of protection to your home or business.
When Should I Buy Hurricane Shutters?
The best time to buy hurricane shutters is before a storm is on the horizon. Don’t wait until a hurricane is approaching to start looking for hurricane shutters. Plan and have your shutters installed well in advance of the storm season.
What Are the Best Types of Hurricane Shutters?
There are several types of hurricane shutters available, including:
- Roll down shutters that are permanently attached and can be rolled up and down as needed.
- Accordion shutters that are attached to the sides of windows and doors and can be folded away when not in use.
- Storm panels that are attached to the exterior of windows and doors with bolts or tracks.
- Bahama shutters are attached to the top of windows and can be propped open for ventilation.
The best type of hurricane shutter for your home or business will depend on several factors, including your budget, the style of your home or business, and your personal preferences.
How Do I Choose an Installation Company I Can Trust?
When choosing a hurricane shutter company, it’s important to do your research and choose a company with a proven track record of quality workmanship and customer satisfaction. Look for a company that is licensed and insured, has good reviews online, and offers a warranty on their work.
How Much Protection Do Storm Shutters Provide?
Hurricane shutters provide a high level of protection against high winds, rain, and debris during a hurricane or severe weather event. The level of protection will depend on the type of hurricane shutter you choose, as well as the quality of the installation. At Sun Barrier Products, we use only the highest quality materials and employ expert technicians to ensure that our customers receive the best protection possible.
Contact Us for Your Hurricane Shutter Needs Today
Thank you for considering Sun Barrier Products for your hurricane shutter needs. We are Orlando’s local source for storm protection products and installation, and we are also the experts in hurricane shutter repair. To learn more about our products and services or schedule a consultation, please contact us today.